Cyber crimes have become so commonplace that more than half of Americans have experienced some sort of personal or financial loss. Even as online security measures become more sophisticated, criminals around the world continually find new ways to threaten our safety, steal money and hijack our lives. But there are ways to fight back.
As part of Decatur CoWorks’ community seminar series, cybersecurity professional Gary Phillips will discuss how to:
• Secure home and business networks
• Utilize complex and memorable passwords, as well as multi-factor authentication to protect data
• Avoid threats like skimmers and rogue WiFi access points
• Increase the safety of online financial transactions
• Understand how techniques like “phishing” and "fake news" are used to manipulate victims
• Protect your reputation across social networks
• Monitor children’s online activities and set safe parameters
There is no charge for the event, but registration is required. Free beer will be available for attendees age 21 and older with a valid ID, while supplies last.
Space is limited, so reserve your ticket at DecaturCoWorks.com (scroll down).